Monthly Archives: November 2012

Easy Street Part 1 Finished!

Standard

I did finish Part 1 of the Easy Street Mystery Part I this past Tuesday.  I took some time on Monday evening to sew all the 4-patches together, then on Tuesday evening, I ironed them all open.   Here is a photo: 

 

 

Part II begins today, and I am going to make a flying goose for the first time!

More to come as I get some experience under my belt with bias edges.

Advertisements

Soft shirts!

Standard

Men’s shirts sure do have a lot of fabric to them!  I was doing the math on how many shirts I would need to cut up to get 4 yards of material . . . not too many!  If you figure conservatively, a back is a bit larger than a fat quarter, plus two fronts, plus two long sleves, and miscellaneous parts — cuffs, collar and pocket.  It all adds up!  Here is a video of Bonnie Hunter doing her thing with a shirt:  Deboning a Shirt.  She is merciless! 

So, last night, I sat and watched Netflix and deboned a few.  I have several dark shirts already deboned.   I needed a better variety of white backgrounded. 

Here is a pile of several different “deboned” shirts.

Easy Street Intro and Part I

Standard

I’ ve been looking forward to the next Mystery Quilt on Quiltville, and Bonnie Hunter has provided “Easy Street” for 2012.  The fabric colors recommend were posted the end of October, and the first set of piecing was posted on Friday–the day after Thanksgiving.

Today, I turned this:

into this:

image

And sewed them together into 384 two-sies, chain piecing them on my Bernina.

image

They are now all ironed open, ready to make 192 four patches — sometime between now and the next part of the Mystery coming on Friday.

image

Linking back to Bonnie’s Easy Street  linky blog for today so you can see all the other bloggers posting their progress!

 

Best!
Claire

Texas Rose

Standard

Our quilt guild will be having a block drawing for the Christmas party, and I finally found the block I wanted to make. It is called Texas Rose on the quilters cache website.

The pattern has inset seams, and it took a few tries before I got it right.

image

I made four, and arranged them on the design wall.

I have a couple more to make.

image

Best!
Claire

Make 264 of These Connector Units

Standard

Ok, Jere’ says counting is optional on vacation!  But I need a bunch more of these.  So far I have 190, give or take a couple.

image

I sure thought I had cut 264 cream squares, but apparently not!

Time to read a bit before lights out.

Best!
Claire

Charity Quilt

Standard

The Sand Stitchers Quilt Guild is making charity quilts for various causes.  I took a roll of Civil War reproduction fabrics donated by Cynthia Reeves – enough to make two lap quilts. 

She had precut the pieces 10″x width of fabric.  I made four cuts on each piece to create four stacks of 10×10 squares.  Then I cut each 10″ square in strips–one strip is 6.5″x10″, which leaves the other at 3.5″x10″.  Here are the results:

image

The pattern we are using is the Double Slice Layer Cake, with a tutorial available on Youtube by Missouri Star Quilt Company. 

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjxC-0T5lXw4

After making the blocks, here is my preferred layout.

image

I completed one top this afternoon, from two of the fabric stacks.  The browns are so rich!

image

The occasional  poison green blok adds just enough diversion.

image

I will try for a photo outsidw tomorrow!

Best!
Claire

Best!
Claire

Kitting Up Irish Chain

Standard

Before going on vacation, I kitted up the Irish chain. After sewing leaders and enders 2″ darks and lights for the past several months, I decided I had better count the 2-patches to see how many I had completed.  344!  OK.

I needed a total of 528 of those!

Reading the rest of the instructions again, I cut the 66 center cream rectangles by cutting 8″ strips and subcutting each of those at 5″ intervals.  Not a bad task.

Next, I got my AccuQuilt GO! and cut 2″ cream strips.  If I need 132 – 2″x5″ rectangles, and I can get 8 rectangles per strip, how many strips do I need to cut?

Gasp!  My fifth grade math teacher was right!  We can and do use math every day to figure out life’s puzzles!

That answer, plus needing 132 – 2″x2″ cream squares, got me on a roll.  In very little time, I had all the cream kitted up. 

Next, I tackled cutting the dark 2″ squares from scraps.  I didnt even count those.  I need 1,122 total and have only sewn 344.  I didn’t have that many left in the previous kitting up effort, so I just cut 2″ strips until I got tired.  Then I turned them all at a 90° angle on the GO! and “ta da”– 2″ squares magically appeared.

I made some 2″ squares from lights as well for good measure.  Turns out, I made more than needed. Oh boy, another quilt already started!

image

Best!
Claire