Monthly Archives: February 2012

Cutting the Next Exercise

Standard
 I straightened and cut the fabrics for the next project tonight.  I have a new Creative Grids ruler that seems to be much more accurate — it has thin lines plus  slightly rough surface on the back to help grip the fabric.

Here are the cuts:

5 strips each color; 1.5" wide

 

49 blue 3.5" squares

 
Fussy cuts

The cowgirls and cowboys are just “too cute”.  I love the ’50’s – ’60’s look of the artwork.   The borders will be made out of this fabric. 

Now, if I can just get my three 1.5″ strips sewn together to measure 3.5″ wide, I’ll be in business!
 

Sewing Room Finally Finished

Standard

The “Billy System” Ikea bookcases — before filling them.

And the photo below is AFTER — to include my new Heavenly Seating sewing chair, and Ott Lighting that I got at a half price sale.

As you can see, I still have a few things to find a home for on the Sashiko table.

The little details: a plug strip installed at the base of the bookcase:

The start of my “scrap user’s system”.
 
A scrap bag.  When full, it is processed into “ready to use” sizes for a scrappy quilt — maybe a QA project in the future?
 
And here is the trash basket made by my daughter.  She meant it for my car, but I couldn’t resist hanging it on my Sew-Ez.  It’s amazing how fast both of these bags fill up!

Paisley trash bag from Sadie!

 
And here is my huge cutting table with tons of storage.  There are 15 cubicles on the front and 9 more each side for a total of 34!  Most of them are empty at this point — but not for long.
 
 
Here are pictures of the top surface.  It has room enough for a ruler rack, cutting mats and small ironing surface.   These can be moved if I need the entire surface.
 
 
And the storage area underneath for batting and my sewing machine travel case is just right:
 

I am so pleased with this cubby tucked under the cutting table.

 
The cutting table is on rollers so the rear storage can be accessed, or moved aside to open the futon in the corner: 
 
 
 
Thank you Harriet and Carrie — you inspired me (or gave me the excuse?) to take the plunge and just “do it”!
 
I don’t think a sewing room is ever really “finished”; so, as I improve on things, I’ll share that  here.

Fabric Selection for Next Project

Standard

“Winter Wonderland” is the next project.  I’m very excited about the fabrics for the next project.  However, instead of a “Winter Wonderland” theme, I’ve chosen some juvenile “cowboy” prints.  Yes, I know there is a cowboy project in the book, but I’ve decided to make THIS one out of these fabrics:

And these fabrics are for the border and some of the light squares, fussy cut, of course.  The backing will be the cowboy hats.  I could not locate a border print in a fabric that got me excited, but the cowgirls and cowboys are somewhat aligned in a row.  I’ll do my best to make it work! 

The first step will be to wash all the fabrics and straighten them up.  Tomorrow . . .

First Piecing Lesson Completed

Standard

I’m happy to report I’ve completed the first hands-on lesson.  Here’s my finished product.  I think I’ve ripped out every seam in it at least once!

 

Ultimately, the ripping was appropriate — resetting my seam guide necessary to ensure an accurate seam allowance.  It was just a tad too much, so the block was coming out too small.  The culprit was caused by attaching seam guides to a movable object (the acrylic insert to my Sew-Ez table).  As the machine would vibrate, it would move the board ever so slightly, so it was off.

Here are a few photos of “in progress”. 

 

First mistake - attaching seam guides to a movable object (clear acrylic insert)!

As I would sew the strips together, the vibration of the machine would vary the width of the seam allowance.

Get Ripped -- This has nothing to do with your abs!

Well, the center strip wasn’t even close to 1.5″ wide.  I ripped it all apart, moved my seam guides to my actual fixed-and-firm machine arm, and resewed the pieces together.
 
Much better!

All laid out on a small design board

 
The big finale!  Voila!  This project will be set aside as the rest of it is in the “Sophomore” year.
 

 

Here’s what the finished project will look like:

The finished project -- to be completed in the next book in the series.

On to the next lesson!